Tuesday 1 November 2011

Am I a Rubbish Artist?

Well, another of our Annual Exhibitions has come and gone. I say another, but for me, this was the first time of displaying my work in this way. Unfortunately, like a number of us, I didn't sell any paintings.


"It's not a very good economic climate just now" I've heard said, but wait a minute, one or two paintings did sell, so someone out there is buying. This leads me to believe that my work isn't good enough. That said, should I just accept that I am a mediocre artist? Should I lay down my brushes and take up gardening or something like that instead? Or, should this strengthen my resolve to practice more, experiment more and to swat up on techniques, subject matter, presentation etc.?


Of course, it has to be the latter. I am not going to give up that easily! So, from today onwards, let me draw every day, paint whenever I can, read those painting books which are gathering dust on the shelf, study other artist's work (especially successful artists), resolve not to sit in front of the TV or computer so much and not loose sight of my goal - to be a better artist!



No comments:

Post a Comment